Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Senior Project

It's about time I give you guys a little update/taste of my senior project.  Although I haven't been doing a ton of research reading, I have been doing quite a bit of coding research and actually taking some electronics apart.

Printer Parts
Printer I took apart to obtain any DC motors from within
Printer Parts
Motor?
Printer Parts
Lots of gears and screws I can use!!
Well I'm guessing you probably have no idea what I am trying to accomplish.  Last year I created a project that consisted of three recycled printer cartridges attached to a DC motor with a potentiometer.  When you turned the pot it would change the speed of the motor.  When the motor spun the force caused the ink to spit out around the room, all over the floor, chairs, and on innocent bystanders.

Senior Project
My Project
 

View the video above to see a demonstration of how it worked (This was after all the ink ran out).  So what am I going to do for my senior project that relates to this?  Well, instead of using a potentiometer to control the speed at which the motor spins, I will be using sound.  I hope to create a whole bunch of these motors so that I can fill a white room with them where they can splatter paint everywhere.

Splatter
What I have recently decided I may do is instead of buying a whole bunch of microphones to use on my splatter devices,  I may just take hack into things like headphones and cellphones to obtain the microphones out of them.  In this way I will be sustaining the idea of recycling and re-appropriating materials.

Motorola Cellphone
Top cover peeled back and underneath exposed
Lots of pieces
This little microphone is all I wanted it for
The next step is creating a code that will read the microphone signals, send it to the computer as data as well as send the values to the motor to determine how fast it will move.  I began working off a simple code to just get the readings of the microphone.  It was getting readings, but in some way the readings weren't actually corresponding to the microphone.  Still haven't gotten to the bottom of that.  However, in the mean time we can take a sneak peek at some of the wiring I was working on yesterday.

Wiring on breadboard and Arduino
Well for now this is what I got.  It may not seem like much, but it's definitely a start.  Can't wait to share what surprises come next!!  Thanks everyone and check back soon for more updates on my senior project as well as PTV updates and probably some Fine Art Magazine updates this weekend after the Vimeo Awards!!

P.S.  I really enjoy getting comments, so if you have any suggestions, ideas, or just general comments, please don't hesitate to leave one :)  Thanks!!!

Like This!

No comments:

Post a Comment